GIS Day is an annual event that celebrates the technology of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This annual international celebration of GIS technology was first celebrated in 1999. GIS is the scientific framework for gathering, analyzing, and visualizing geographic data to help humans make better decisions. GIS day helps others learn about geography and real-world applications of GIS that are making a difference to society. This day is a chance for folks to share their accomplishments and inspire others to discover and use GIS. Here is a list of 101 Ways to Participate in GIS Day. Here a just a few examples:
- Tell your family about GIS and show the ways in which it’s helping to create a better future.
- Forward your favorite geography video or map to a friend.
- Thank your GIS mentor.
- Complete a Learn ArcGIS lesson. “Whether you’re new to GIS, or an experienced pro seeking to experiment with the newest technology, we’re here to help.”
- Instead of a traditional presentation, use a story map to present. “Create inspiring, immersive stories by combining text, interactive maps, and other multimedia content. Publish and share your story with your organization or everyone around the world.” Learn how to get access to ArcGIS.
- Mark your calendar for GIS Day 2022 (11/16/2022).
Here are a few other resources for you to enjoy GIS Day!
- GIS Stories: Learn the Story of GIS Day
- 2021 Digital GIS Day Celebration
- Finding resources for Geographic Information Science
- Geographic Information Science Program at TAMU-CC
By: Alexa Hight, Liaison to GIS